[Starlingx-discuss] Agenda: Weekly Containerization Meeting Monday April 29

Victor Rodriguez vm.rod25 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 19:50:36 UTC 2019

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 10:29 PM Rowsell, Brent
<Brent.Rowsell at windriver.com> wrote:

> Victor,
>
> See inline
>
> Brent

I agree after reading the full thread[0] that Bin share and reading
docker documentation that yes swap is not working on k8, thanks for
the clarification it helps me a lot.

Now related to the performance.

I do understand that if the scheduler sends a pod to a machine it
should never use swap at all. but here my question ( as Linux
performance eng ) could be. Why ? and what benchmarks prove that ?. As
far as I know, please correct me if I am wrong,  It’s normal and can
be a good thing for Linux systems to use some swap, even if there is
still available RAM. The Linux Kernel will move memory pages which are
hardly ever used into swap space to ensure that even more cachable
space is made available in-memory for more frequently used memory
pages (a page is a piece of memory). Swap usage becomes a performance
problem when the Kernel is pressured to continuously move memory pages
in and out of memory and swap space. ( is this the corner case that we
are preventing not to use the swap ) . Another advantage is that swap
gives admins time to react to low memory issues. We will often notice
the server acting slowly and upon login will notice heavy swapping.
Without swap running out of memory can create much more sudden and
severe chain reactions.

Obed/Dean, do you know of any benchmark or use case that proves this ?
just wondering

[0] https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/issues/53533