[Starlingx-discuss] Mailing list notes

Chris Friesen chris.friesen at windriver.com
Fri Jan 18 16:51:58 UTC 2019

Arguably trimming too much information is due to the people in question
not showing good judgement about what bits to remove, rather than a
problem with the technique in the first place.

I personally would rather see something like *this* message where the
not-directly-relevant bits have been dropped so that it's easier to see
the flow of the discussion. (Although I'd argue that writing below the
quoted bits makes it easier to catch up on a thread that you haven't
been following--but it's also less convenient for people on mobile
devices that have to scan through a long message.)

While we're on the topic of emails, Bart/Don it looks like your email
clients are not indenting or otherwise indicating which sections are
quoted.  I suspect this is default Outlook behaviour (it can be
changed), but it does make it a lot more difficult to break up a message
and reply to it in sections without resorting to things like prefixing
with initials or using different colours for different people.  On the
other hand, multiple levels of indentation become problematic on mobile
devices with limited screen size.  The choice of tool influences which
writing style is easiest to use and most clear to the recipient.

Chris