[Starlingx-discuss] Build Layering and refactoring of repos

Scott Little scott.little at windriver.com
Wed Jul 17 16:38:02 UTC 2019

On 2019-07-17 12:28 p.m., Saul Wold wrote:

>>> 3) not sure if "compile" is right name the layer of packages (go,
>>> python, rpm, and bash), does bash really belong here, I don't think
>>> we depend on it for the build, do we ? Is there a specific
>>> modification to bash that build specific?
>>
>> Virtually everything depends on bash directly or indirectly through
>> other build tools.
>>
> But why can't we use the system provided bash rather then needing the
> patched version, what specific patches are needed?  I don't then the
> extra logging is the requirement here.

I agreed our current patch should not alter how anything builds in any
direct way.  However it does cause royal havoc on the build order.  It's
presence as a buildable object creates many dependency loops.  Not only
do a lot of packages depend on bash, bash alos depends on a lot of
packages.  Build-pkgs can't determine a build order and must guess.  It
wastes a lot of time trying to build packages in the wrong order, and
failing, before it stumbles onto a good order.

Scott