[Starlingx-discuss] Contrib or Experimental tools location ??

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 21:16:25 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 9:59 PM Saul Wold <sgw at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> We are likely going have more contributions that fall into experimental
> that the community may want to try.
>
> Should we have a contrib or experimental repo or subdirectory in
> stx-tools for these contributions?

My experience with this sort of thing is over time they bit-rot and
are slowly, if at all, updated, much like many wikis.  There is also a
perception of blessing by the project when hosted in
project-controlled places, be it a git repo or a subdirectory within
another project.[0]

The bar for anyone to host their own workspaces publicly is
fantastically low these days, with Github, Gitlab, BitBucket and
friends all available for free.  I see that discovery is one of the
issues here, we could host a directory of these repos centrally (wiki
page?).  What is the benefit of placing arbitrary code into a
StarlingX repo over a personal Github account + having a directory
listing these personal repos? I see a benefit in the legitimization
that putting it under an stx repo gives (this one of my concerns),
what are the other benefits?

I would feel much better about doing this in an stx repo if the core
group (there will be a limited group of people with merge permissions
here, yes?) has the responsibility to curate the content of a contrib
repo.

dt

[0]   We have already seen this ourselves around some of the scripts
in stx-tools/deployment that were put there for a specific purpose and
users discovered them and expected them to be supported.

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer at gmail.com