[Starlingx-discuss] Contrib or Experimental tools location ??

Curtis serverascode at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 13:39:38 UTC 2019

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 5:17 PM Dean Troyer <dtroyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 9:59 PM Saul Wold <sgw at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> > We are likely going have more contributions that fall into experimental
> > that the community may want to try.
> >
> > Should we have a contrib or experimental repo or subdirectory in
> > stx-tools for these contributions?
>
> My experience with this sort of thing is over time they bit-rot and
> are slowly, if at all, updated, much like many wikis.  There is also a
> perception of blessing by the project when hosted in
> project-controlled places, be it a git repo or a subdirectory within
> another project.[0]
>
> The bar for anyone to host their own workspaces publicly is
> fantastically low these days, with Github, Gitlab, BitBucket and
> friends all available for free.  I see that discovery is one of the
> issues here, we could host a directory of these repos centrally (wiki
> page?).  What is the benefit of placing arbitrary code into a
> StarlingX repo over a personal Github account + having a directory
> listing these personal repos? I see a benefit in the legitimization
> that putting it under an stx repo gives (this one of my concerns),
> what are the other benefits?

Ultimately I believe we are arguing different goals with the same points.

I'm ok with bit rot, it's inevitable, and can actually be a good thing. I'm
ok with code with lower standards being contributed to a place where it can
be legitimized.

These things are pros to me. :)

> I would feel much better about doing this in an stx repo if the core
> group (there will be a limited group of people with merge permissions
> here, yes?) has the responsibility to curate the content of a contrib
> repo.

There would have to be some standards, eg. no pyc files, no -2s to new
contributors, etc. Arbitrary no, curated yes.

Thanks,
Curtis

> dt
>
> [0]   We have already seen this ourselves around some of the scripts
> in stx-tools/deployment that were put there for a specific purpose and
> users discovered them and expected them to be supported.
>
> --
>
> Dean Troyer
> dtroyer at gmail.com

Blog: serverascode.com