[Starlingx-discuss] Contrib or Experimental tools location ??

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 13:55:54 UTC 2019

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 8:39 AM Curtis <serverascode at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ultimately I believe we are arguing different goals with the same points.
>
> I'm ok with bit rot, it's inevitable, and can actually be a good thing. I'm ok with code with lower standards being contributed to a place where it can be legitimized.
>
> These things are pros to me. :)

I am not against having a place for unofficial code to go and rot, I
am against it being associated with the StarlingX name in a way that
drags down the perception of the code we produce.  And that is all we
produce in the end, code in repositories.

> There would have to be some standards, eg. no pyc files, no -2s to new contributors, etc. Arbitrary no, curated yes.

To me 'curated' includes vetting suitability for purpose.  Untested
code is broken code.

I would support a repo in github.com/starlingx-staging or an index
anywhere but not a repo in Gerrit without meeting a certain minimum of
quality and accountability.

dt

--

Dean Troyer