[Starlingx-discuss] Diagnostic metrics of a healthy StarlingX system.

Peters, Matt Matt.Peters at windriver.com
Wed May 15 17:05:36 UTC 2019

Hi Erich,
We are introducing a new application (stx-monitor) that will include the Open Source Elastic (https://www.elastic.co/) set of monitoring services that may be leveraged for this activity.  The Elastic components include Elasticsearch, Filebeat, Metricbeat, Logstash and Kibana.  Specific monitor of key logs and metrics can be performed via Elastic.  It is also K8s cluster aware, and provides monitoring of both the infrastructure and pods/containers.

In general, custom system level monitoring is integrated into collectd for in-service monitoring of the system.  It is responsible for raising system alarms and events through a continuous monitoring of the hosts and services.  The service manager (SM) will monitor K8s master services and report on that health independently and raise alarms and events as necessary (you don't need to look at sm-dump).

I recommend leveraging these existing components for any gaps that may be identified in the system level health monitoring.

-Matt