[Starlingx-discuss] Diagnostic metrics of a healthy StarlingX system.

Arce Moreno, Abraham abraham.arce.moreno at intel.com
Thu May 16 16:10:34 UTC 2019

Thanks Erich for taking care of a healthy StarlingX System.

Matt,

You are bringing a very important topic which we would like to address now, with the only objective to take advantage of your experience and the work you have completed.

> We are introducing a new application (stx-monitor) that will include the Open
> Source Elastic (https://www.elastic.co/) set of monitoring services that may be
> leveraged for this activity.  The Elastic components include Elasticsearch,
> Filebeat, Metricbeat, Logstash and Kibana.  Specific monitor of key logs and
> metrics can be performed via Elastic.  It is also K8s cluster aware, and provides
> monitoring of both the infrastructure and pods/containers.

From our side, we are working to enable a set of tools around metrics / performance, here you have the StarlingX Metrics board:
https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/board/145

Which contains today 2 high level stories:

- Footprint Metrics: CPU, Memory, Storage v0.1 + Alerts v0.3
- Performance Metrics: Include OPNFV

We are focusing today in Footprint Collection System which is basically the leverage of the following existing projects:

- System Server Side
  - Prometheus
  - Grafana
- Cluster Node Side
  - Node Exporter

> In general, custom system level monitoring is integrated into collectd for in-
> service monitoring of the system.  It is responsible for raising system alarms and
> events through a continuous monitoring of the hosts and services.  The service
> manager (SM) will monitor K8s master services and report on that health
> independently and raise alarms and events as necessary (you don't need to look
> at sm-dump).
>
> I recommend leveraging these existing components for any gaps that may be
> identified in the system level health monitoring.

Yes, let us ask you these question and your support, based in your experience:

- Are we working in parallel with 2 different approaches for the same task?
- Are they 2 different tasks that at some point could be integrated together?
- Can we take a look at the development of stx-monitor to understand more about its architecture?
- Can we have some time in our community meetings to get more into the details of stx-monitor and find out possible collaboration activities?

Best Regards
StarlingX Mexico Team