[Starlingx-discuss] [docs][meetings] docs team meeting minutes 2019-11-13

Dale, Kristal kristal.dale at intel.com
Wed Nov 13 23:53:26 UTC 2019

Hello All,

Here are this week's docs team meeting minutes.

Join us if you have interest in StarlingX docs! We meet Wednesdays 12:30 PST.

  *   Call logistics: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Starlingx/Meetings
  *   Our tracking Etherpad: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stx-documentation

Cheers,
Kris

2019-11-13

  *   All -- reviews in progress and recent merges --
?  See summary at https://review.opendev.org/#/q/project:starlingx/docs.
?  7 open:
*         https://review.opendev.org/#/c/691804/ - * Editorial first pass. More needed before merge? (Mary will do final pass then ready to merge.)
*         https://review.opendev.org/#/c/693761/ - depends on failed change (TBD)
*         https://review.opendev.org/#/c/693601/  - DRAFT org for ops guides (needs group review, see agenda item below)
*         https://review.opendev.org/#/c/692202/ - First draft STX in a box, needs review (Abraham). Needs hosting of image confirmed (see agenda item below)
*         https://review.opendev.org/#/c/691740/ - * Dev process doc. Once we have Dean's review, ready to merge.
*         https://review.opendev.org/#/c/689847/ - * STX dist cloud.  Ready for editorial (AR: Kris/Mary)
*         https://review.opendev.org/#/c/694123/ - * Updated ansible param. Needs confirmation of update. Confirmed. (Greg/Abraham)

  *   Abraham and all -- bug status -- https://bugs.launchpad.net/starlingx/+bugs?field.tag=stx.docs
?  https://bugs.launchpad.net/starlingx/+bug/1835207 - fix released!
*         Closed, three pending reviews are now merged.\
*         http://lists.starlingx.io/pipermail/starlingx-discuss/2019-October/006621.html
?  https://bugs.launchpad.net/starlingx/+bug/1852352 - new - AR: Greg/Abraham, please confirm steps needed in the docs and pass back to Kris.

  *   Kris -- R3.0 - Target release in early Dec
?  RC1 branch creation Nov 25
?  R3 Stories:   http s://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/list?tags=stx.docs&tags=stx.3.0
?  The community team is tracking top stories. These two submitted for the doc team -- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dXFLc6f4d5MA2l7rRBMnfyk4X6wZ07wX
?  Open:
*         Operations Guides (Config guides): https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2006289 // https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mu2rgLvaA_7HYoCwXEG51I_vdMA6S_KAyzTMgKRZT-Y/edit?usp=sharing
o    1) Need to settle on a starting org of new content: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/693601/
?  Division of new content into sections:
*         Configuration
*         Administration - consolidate with user and rename "Operation Guides"
*         User Guides (whats the diff between Admin and User Guides?)
o    2) Need to settle on which subset of the newly expanded content will be for R3:
?  Items from original story? Other?
o    3) Once 1 and 2 are decided, Kris will update/add stories/tasks in StoryBoard to reflect decisionsAR: KRIS to make a proposal for final set of R3 content - team to decide by EOD Tuesday, report to community
?  - dist cloud - PRIORITY
?  - gen updates
?  - TSN
?  - Backup/restore w/ containers (this would be Operation Guide) KRIS: add to list
?  - stx in a box? Pending infrastructure
o    4) Need to provide update on final target content for R3 to community mtg next week.
*         STX in a box: (https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2006622)
o    Draft in review https://review.opendev.org/#/c/692202/
o    Hosting qcow2 images:
?  Kris sent initial contact to Scott re hosting on cengn.
*         From community mtg:
o    Build frequency: Update image post release, update at dot dot release
o    Retention policy? Dont need to store beyond that - b/c they are targeted. If they are once per release then maybe 1 or 1 + previous?
o    Continue convo off line (scott/saul)
*         Scott has asked: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1715IJtx1BmXQuR_Ffdjxs4S-Tk8-60MH
o    Is the qcow2 image to be created by the cengn build?   I and cengn would prefer that to allowing binary uploads.
*         -->
o    Where are the instructions for it's creation?
*         -->
*         https://drive.google.com/open?id=1c2WzC3E_FnoJMfFwADFj1FWOn4Fx8jvW
o    How often do we need to build it?
*         -->
o    For what branches?
*         --> Release branch
o    What is the retention policy?
*         -->
o    How big are the files?
*         -->
*         Kris send answers by EOW
*         Expanded Ansible content: https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2006843
o    in progress
*         Misc:
o    http://lists.starlingx.io/pipermail/starlingx-discuss/2019-November/006813.html
*         This may impact all general install instructions (making sure versions align across all needed files/packages)
o    TSN contribution is in progress: (subtask 36405 in https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/story/2006289)
?  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IQZVTEHRra72wNOHiIXD5Y-DKiFkl7yZ
?  Le, Huifeng <huifeng.le at intel.com> is working on this

  *   R2.0.2 EOY - Will require release notes (no impact to R3)

  *   Possible guide for deploying on packet.com? (AR: Greg will explore this - Abraham will help)
?  https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/StarlingX/Packet_SIG
?  Explore this as content for a new guide

  *   Greg -- Summary of DOC discussions @ STX PTG
*         DOC Process ... for 'new' content
?  Need to work with PLs and COREs of STX Project Teams to enforce 'code contributors' to include doc updates in their commits
?  with DOC Team providing 'editor' type role
o    PROPOSALS on how we do this ?
*         DOC Process ... for 'existing' content related to STX 3.0 DOC Work
?  Approach PLs of STX Project Teams to get them to provide doc updates   (with DOC Team providing 'editor' type role)
o    ( or minimally raw input for doc updates )
*         DOC Team
?  Would it be beneficial to provide packet.com resources to DOC Team in order to give them "hands on" access to StarlingX system ?
*         General Comments
?  quick start links ?
o    need quick start link for first time visitor ... i.e. that goes directly to virtual AIO simplex installation
o    ? add a quick start video of installing and using starlingx ?
o    ? add a quick start link to a public packet.com starlingx deployment ?
?  should starlingx intro pages under doc point to intro material under starlingx.io ?
?  various workshop scripts brought up as having simple robust install procedures
o    general input I had was that we need to look at these scripts, and
o    understand how these are any different (if at all) than what we have doc'd in docs.starlingx.io
o    docs.starlingx.io should be the best source of simple robust install procedures.
?  Yong mentioned that he thought virtualized environment setup needs to be enhanced to include the scenario that you are operating behind a firewall
o    need to followup with Yong

Action required (AR) summary

Completed ARs are archived here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stx-documentation-files-003

*         <date task was assigned> -- <owner> -- <description + comments>
*         2019-05-15 -- Abraham -- Review these code and terminology changes impacting user docs -- https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sCB-lrWhDIJLNAGWBt7wJ1_JxY21m71p -- and report back on specific actions required.

  *   Work in progress

  *   We took one example, the compute personality/subfunction renamed to 'worker', we find several ocurrences for both of them.
*         2019-10-02 -- Kris and Mary -- Update the contributor guide at https://docs.starlingx.io/contributor/doc_contribute_guide.html to reflect our current doc schema and incorporate elements of the "cheat sheet." (low priority)
*         2019-11-13 -- Kris --

  *   Ping Dean to review: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/691740/

  *   Ready for editorial: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/689847/

  *   Make a proposal for final set of R3 content - team to decide by EOD Tuesday, report to community

  *   Send answers to Scott re hosting image on cengn
*         2019-11-13 -- Greg -- https://bugs.launchpad.net/starlingx/+bug/1852352 -  please confirm steps needed in the docs and pass back to Kris.