[Starlingx-discuss] openSUSE: High Availability Update

Arce Moreno, Abraham abraham.arce.moreno at intel.com
Tue Oct 29 17:24:06 UTC 2019

Dear High Availability and DevStack community:

Last week, my main activity was Distributed Cloud, specifically
documentation, some internal things and 1.5 days off so please
find the minimum progress reached in ~ 2 days and several questions.

I have not moved away from the previous approach proposed [0], now
added the step 3.2, to install service manager package using the DevStack
way:

  - One issue found
  - One patch submitted
  - Several questions

[ Summary ] [ Procedure ]

1. Virtual Box machine based on OpenSUSE Leap [1]
2. DevStack, installed through provided installation instructions [2]
3. High Availability
    3.1 Installed through OBS personal repository [3]
           Launchpad https://bugs.launchpad.net/starlingx/+bug/1850450
    3.2 Initially built through DevStack
           3.2.1 Runtime dependencies
                     Review https://review.opendev.org/#/c/691905
           3.2.2 Includes libraries
                     Your help needed, several questions, see section "details"

[Details] [ 3.2 Initially built through DevStack ]

[[ Runtime dependencies ]]

For runtime dependencies, the following errors were presented:
  sm_types.c:10:10: fatal error: glib.h: No such file or directory
  sm_uuid.c:9:10: fatal error: uuid/uuid.h: No such file or directory
  /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/.../bin/ld: cannot find -lsqlite3
 /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/.../bin/ld: cannot find -ljson-c

Patch is out for review: openSUSE: System Packages Devstack based [4]
based in DevStack plugin guidelines [5].

[[ Includes libraries ]]

To get to a successful local build of ha/devstack, 2 issues were
Presented and manually fixed:

1. Fatal error No such file or directory:

    fatal error: mtceHbsCluster.h: No such file or directory
    fatal error: fmAPI.h: No such file or directory

    To temporarily fix, the following libraries were manually added:
    -I$PATH_TO/metal/mtce/src/heartbeat/
    -I$PATH_TO/fault/fm-common/sources/

    Questions?

    Is build_sm function under "devstack/lib/ha" the correct place to add
    the metal and fault includes location? What is the temporal place
    directory DevStack assign to these dependencies?

    Is DevStack plugin guidelines [5] the right documentation to solve
    this issue so we can get deeply into it?

    To bring those runtime dependencies, is ha/devstack/settings [6] file
    the only required place to tell DeStack to bring them?

2. Error fmcommon

     /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/.../bin/ld: cannot find -lfmcommon

     To temporarily fix, the fmcommon library was manually copied:
     sudo cp /opt/stack/devstack/ha/devstack/fault/fm-common/sources/libfmcommon.so /usr/lib64/fmcommon.so

     Questions?

     I assume this is a prerequisite to be correctly handled by DevStack
     fault installation?

After these 2 issues were manually fixed, we had a successful build after
calling local devstack script:

  stack at linux-qwyc:~/devstack/ha/devstack> bash build.sh

[ Next Steps ]

Full installation of DevStack adding the following StarlingX
ha components under local.conf:

  enable_plugin ha https://opendev.org/starlingx/ha

and then run DevStack:
  stack at linux-qwyc:~/devstack> bash stack.sh

Again, please let me know your feedback, comments, new paths to follow,
anything.

All details (constantly updated) at personal github [7] [8]

[0] http://lists.starlingx.io/pipermail/starlingx-discuss/2019-October/006623.html
[1] https://software.opensuse.org/distributions/leap
[2] https://docs.openstack.org/devstack/latest/
[3] https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/xe1gyq/Cloud_StarlingX_2.0_openSUSE_Leap_15.1/home:xe1gyq.repo