[Starlingx-discuss] openSUSE: High Availability Installation Update

Dominig ar Foll (Intel Open Source) dominig.arfoll at fridu.net
Wed Sep 25 16:47:05 UTC 2019

Hello,

I have looked at your documentation provided as pointers and I would
like to make a few comments :

1) you are mixing repo.
The Vagrant image is made on OpenSUSE 15.0 but I notice that you pull
some packages from "openSUSE-Tumbleweed-Oss".
Mixing repo from different release is a ticket for problem. I guess it's
an error.
Rather than to ignore key, it's better to import them once for all.

2) dependencies
The easier way to manage complex software installation, is to create a
meta package in OBS.
It's a package that only has "Required:" statement an calls for needed
packages.
If the called packages are in spread out in directories which are not
commonly referenced by default, it can be 'User Friendly' to create
aggregate version of the target packages in the same directory than the
meta package,  to ease the end use life.

3) pip
Using pip to upload python module is not the preferred method, as  those
modules will not be updated when the distro is updated and their release
is unknown as it depends of the installation timing.
The packages that you are calling are available from OpenSUSE repo in
Python2 and 3, so a call from the meta package could be done automatically.

S  | Name           | Summary                                 | Type
---+----------------+-----------------------------------------+--------
i+ | psutils        | Tools for Manipulating PostScript Files | package
   | python2-psutil | A process utilities module for Python   | package
   | python3-psutil | A process utilities module for Python   | package

Would a package not be available, it would be better to create a virtual
package which does the install as part of a simple %post and call it
from the meta package. Which such model, to enforce the update, we would
just have to increase the version number.

4) DB and various Config file initialisation
Rather than to do them by hand, it would be better to trigger them in a
%post statement of the meta package.
Which such solution, the could be fully automated via a "1 click
Install" (works only from Firefox).

A special test might be required to not break changes during update.

Have a nice day

Dominig

On 25/09/2019 17:48, Arce Moreno, Abraham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please find a preliminary update [0] of our journey to install the created "high availability" packages from our openSUSE StarlingX project space [1].
> These procedure will be repeated once the packages are generated using the non-yet merged StarlingX HA Upstream Specfiles [2].
> In summary:
>
> The following packages were successfully installed, no missing zypper or python dependencies:
> - sm-commonS  | Name           | Summary                                 | Type
> ---+----------------+-----------------------------------------+--------
> i+ | psutils        | Tools for Manipulating PostScript Files | package
>    | python2-psutil | A process utilities module for Python   | package
>    | python3-psutil | A process utilities module for Python   | package
> - libsm-db1
> - sm
>
> The following packages were successfully installed after additional zypper and/or python packages were installed, work in progress to add them into their respective specfile:
> - sm-tools
> - sm-client
> - sm-api
>
> You will find in the guide:
>
> 1. The openSUSE based Vagrant image
> 2. The installation of the packages and package binaries execution
> 3. Output for both installation and package binaries execution
>
> [0] https://github.com/xe1gyq/starlingx/blob/master/multios/opensuse_ha_install.md
> [1] https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/Cloud:StarlingX:2.0
> [2] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/679686/

Dominig ar Foll