[Starlingx-discuss] bnx2x driver panic. Is source same as CentOS 7?

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Wed Aug 5 15:26:30 UTC 2020

On 8/3/20 3:03 AM, Pratik M. wrote:
> Hi,
> I see a bnx2x driver panic during install of controller-1. Where do I
> find the driver source for the same to confirm whether this is stock
> from CentOS 7 or are there any changes? If it is the same as CentOS,
> then I presume there is no point raising a bug in StarlingX LP?

Since you did not say if you are using the StarlingX 3.0 or master ISO,
I wil try to answer for both!

For 3.0, StarlingX uses the CentOS7 3.10 kernel with some additional
patches and configuration changes.

For 4.0 (soon to be released) and master, StarlingX uses the CentOS8
4.18 kernel with a smaller number of patches and configuration changes.

Can you try installing from the master ISO to see if the 4.18 kernel
addresses these panics?

Does this only happen on the machine when installed via PXE?  Does it
happen if you install the ISO directly?  This could be related to the
initrd setup possibly then.

> I have installed CentOS7 on the same hardware (albeit not via pxe from
> the same broadcom "custer mgmt" NIC).

Just to confirm, you have installed a generic CentOS7 on this hardware
and it works, but not via PXE boot, can you try to install the generic
CentOS7 via PXE boot, this might rule out some of the StarlingX
configuration changes.

> I see a lot of these: bnx2x: [bnx2x_write_dmae:549(eno51)]DMAE
> returned failure -1

In what setup are you seeing these message?  StarlingX and Generic
CentOS7 or just StarlingX?

> NIC is HP 536FLB which is QLogic 57840S
>
> Thanks in advance
> Pratik