[Starlingx-discuss] puppet 4.8 on CentOS8

Sun, Austin austin.sun at intel.com
Wed Feb 12 15:30:05 UTC 2020

Hi All:
As you may know, we try to keep puppet4.8 in starlingx, there is no puppet4.8 in centos8 repo.
I have explored 2 approaches to enable puppet4.8 in centos8 .
Option1:  puppet4.8 + ruby 2.5.3(centos8 default ruby version)
Option2:  puppet4.8 + ruby 2.0.0 rpm (stx currently use)
For Option1, after adding depends requests, and pull one patch from upstream[1], puppet4.8 can be run on centos8 now.
For Option2,  there is deps confliction, libgdbm.so.4()(64bit) and libreadline.so.6()(64bit) which have upgrade in centos8.

Is there any concern for option1 ?
And for option2 issue, is there any suggestion if option1 is not the best options ?

[1] https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/commit/578687a00195191185f44d8cb38f4b7716d99c31

Thanks.

BR
Austin Sun.