[Starlingx-discuss] Installation Guide and Access VM Network

Thorsten Steuer thorsten.steuer at acdp.at
Mon Apr 19 14:54:30 UTC 2021

Good evening Community,

we are trying to set up StarlingX for the first time to try out it's features. Unfortunately, we have several issues with the installation.

  1.   Scenario: We used Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS Desktop image as Host system. When we carry out the simplex all in one installation for a Virtual Enviorment the process get stuck during the Ansible playbook installation (https://docs.starlingx.io/deploy_install_guides/r4_release/virtual/aio_simplex_install_kubernetes.html). It can not donwload the Docker images and push them to the local registry. This is caused by the VM not beeing able to access the external network of the host machine.
  2.  Scenario: We use Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS without Desktop. The same installation command and configurations runs all the way through but we can't access the Web-interface from the Hos Machine Browser since there is no GUI. In the VM we can get the html opening page of StarlingX Horizion Interface via CLI wget command. The service is running in the VM but the Host Machine can reach the internal network of the VM.

Questions:

  1.   Is this a known problem that StralingX can't be installed correctly with Desktop Ubuntu OS on the Host Machine?
  2.  How can we make the OAM floating IP Address visible for external networks?
  3.  How would we register a worker node into this network to communicate with the StarlingX VM?
  4.  Are there general documentation about how the Network has to be set up for this to work?

Help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Thorsten Steuer