[Starlingx-discuss] Installation Guide and Access VM Network

Walker, Cole Cole.Walker at windriver.com
Mon Apr 19 15:12:52 UTC 2021

Hello Thorsten,

I will try to provide some suggestions related to scenario 1 in your email. I know many people are able to run StarlingX in Virtualbox on Ubuntu. I suspect that there is some network configuration that can be tweaked to resolve your issue.

Are you using Virtualbox as your virtual machine manager? If so, here is a document that may provide some assistance:

https://docs.starlingx.io/deploy_install_guides/r4_release/virtual/install_virtualbox.html

The "network settings" sections has some important points, and also includes instructions for configuring a virtual router
https://docs.starlingx.io/deploy_install_guides/r4_release/virtual/config_virtualbox_netwk.html

Given that your VM is unable to access the external network of the host machine, this may be part of the solution to your problem. I would recommend that before your begin the ansible playbook installation, you ensure that your guest vm is able to reach the internet. I believe that this documentation provides answers to questions 1, 2 and 4 in your email.

The answer for question 3 would be covered in the documentation for "Virtual Standard with Controller Storage Installation"
https://docs.starlingx.io/deploy_install_guides/r4_release/virtual/controller_storage.html

Let me know if you have additional questions, or if this documentation does not properly correspond to your use case.

Regards,
Cole