[Starlingx-discuss] Modifying host-add for bare metal edge

Kung, John John.Kung at windriver.com
Wed Jul 21 19:02:31 UTC 2021

Alex,

host-add will add a host of the specified personality (e.g. controller, worker, experimental edgeworker ...) to the system/cluster.
The host may also be detected automatically and added to inventory when it attempts to pxeboot.

The added host will attempt to pxeboot the active image, which may be served from the controller;
or in the case of edgeworker, the image would need to be already installed.

After a host has been added, it is possible to reinstall the host, however, this will lead to the host's disk being wiped.
host-reinstall is required only for certain exceptional host configuration changes as specified here:
https://docs.starlingx.io/deploy_install_guides/r5_release/bare_metal/reinstalling-a-system-or-a-host.html
https://docs.starlingx.io/cli_ref/system.html#host-configuration

Thus, 'system host-reinstall' will trigger the reinstall of the host (sets the HAS_REINSTALLING state).
Otherwise, a regular host-lock/unlock/reboot will boot from disk the already installed load (from the host-add).

Experimentally, there is also an 'edgeworker' personality where the host OS is not installed/reinstalled by the controller:
https://docs.starlingx.io/deploy/deploy-edgeworker-nodes.html

regards,
John

Message: 2