[Starlingx-discuss] TSC Election Campaigning started

Waines, Greg Greg.Waines at windriver.com
Mon Nov 14 15:02:15 UTC 2022

Contributions from a diverse community is a valuable aspect of developing in an open source project.
Unfortunately StarlingX has not been able to leveraged this value because of our lack of diversity in the community.

Long term contributors to open source projects are typically 'users' of the open source project.
Therefore focusing on supporting, growing and diversifying the 'users' of StarlingX will be a good first step in diversifying both users and contributors of StarlingX.

In the past, StarlingX's approach to "support" of new "users" of StarlingX has been somewhat of a "best effort" approach across the entire StarlingX community ... i.e. with no clear owner.  As a result, for a variety of reasons, this approach has just not worked.

As suggested by an OIF board member at a recent StarlingX update meeting, an alternative approach would be to find a StarlingX community member (or two) whose 'primary' role is to support new users and contributors in the StarlingX community.  This would include both re-active and pro-active aspects of support.  I.e. this would include timely responses to questions on StarlingX mailing list and StarlingX IRC channel, with followups to ensure new user is 'successful' in evaluating StarlingX, with followups to understand new user's use case for StarlingX, improving the StarlingX website for new users, work to make 'kicking the tires' on StarlingX easier, holding StarlingX user hands-on sessions online and at major conferences, etc. .

As TSC, I would like to pursue this approach support of StarlingX.

Greg.