[Starlingx-discuss] Pointers to StarlingX Contributor Process

Waines, Greg Greg.Waines at windriver.com
Thu Oct 20 23:39:08 UTC 2022

Hey Scott,
… just following up on the action I took from the PTG,

Here’s the URLs and notes on contributing to StarlingX:

StarlingX Contribution Guidelines are documented here:

  *   https://docs.starlingx.io/contributor/index.html
     *   https://docs.starlingx.io/contributor/development_process.html
     *   https://docs.starlingx.io/developer_resources/code-submission-guide.html
     *   https://docs.starlingx.io/contributor/doc_contribute_guide.html
     *   https://docs.starlingx.io/contributor/api_contribute_guide.html
     *   https://docs.starlingx.io/contributor/release_note_contribute_guide.html

My summary of this is as follows:

  *   Need to set yourself up with the required accounts for contributing to a project hosted by OpenDev
( https://docs.opendev.org/opendev/infra-manual/latest/developers.html )
  *   Create a STORY in https://storyboard.openstack.org/#!/project_group/starlingx with a brief description of the feature/contribution you are proposing
  *   Start attending the StarlingX Release Team Meetings
     *   to let community know of your proposed contribution
     *   add your STORY into the STX-R# Release Planning Spreadsheet
        *   with info on forecasted SPEC Date, CodeComplete Date, TestComplete Date, etc.
     *   AND report on progress of STORY/Feature over the course of the STX Release
     *   Meeting info
        *   Bi-weekly meeting on Wednesday 06:30AM PT / 09:30AM ET / 02:30PM UTC
        *   Zoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/342730236?pwd=N21CUXNXVlJXMlcyZjZ0SE96cVNjQT09
        *   Meeting agenda/minutes: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stx-releases
  *   Start attending the SubProject’s Meeting(s) that are most relevant to the contribution you are doing (e.g. if it’s some wireguard enhancement … maybe Networking or Distro/Kernel SubProject ?)
     *   good place to ask for detailed specific help in the area
     *   good place to let community members ( who are ‘cores’ of the code repos you are changing ) be aware of the your upcoming contribution … so that SPEC REVIEWS and CODE/GERRIT REVIEWS go more smoothly
     *   good place to NAG community members (especially cores) to review your SPEC and CODE/GERRIT REVIEWS
  *   Write your spec and submit it for review in GERRIT
     *   ideally do this before you start (or are too far along) on the design/development of your contribution … in case there is a lot of discussion around your approach
  *   Develop and Test your code before submitting in GERRIT for REVIEW
     *   address comments from review
  *   Full integration testing on your update
     *   explicit testing of your functionality
     *   make sure your update works (and doesn’t break) system operations such as upgrades 😊, controller switchover, backup & restore, etc.
     *   raise launchpads and fix any issues found
  *   Update StarlingX DOCs and submit for GERRIT REVIEW
     *   address comments from review

( … I likely forgot stuff … any one in community feel free to update anything I’ve said … )

let me know if you have any concerns/questions,
Greg.