[Starlingx-discuss] stx.7.0 Release milestone declared

Waines, Greg Greg.Waines at windriver.com
Wed Sep 21 11:02:23 UTC 2022

... apologize for the slow reply.

StarlingX code and the community "enables" the ability to do Software patches and upgrades.
•       Formal StarlingX Release ISOs and container images are built by CENGN
o       http://mirror.starlingx.cengn.ca/mirror/starlingx/release/
o       with container images available on docker hub under starlingx org
•       developer instructions are available ( https://docs.starlingx.io/developer_resources/index.html )
      for building ISOs and Updates/Patches,
•       code supporting Software Update/Patch and Software Upgrade procedures via CLI and GUI have been implemented
o       https://docs.starlingx.io/updates/index-updates-e3b970bb69ce.html
o       Wind River’s Commercial Product based on StarlingX uses these to deliver/apply patches and upgrades

Currently the StarlingX Community does not build software updates/patches (bug fixes, etc) for its Formal StarlingX Release ISOs on CENGN.
Community resource limitations prohibit being able to patch maintenance of the Formal StarlingX Release ISOs.

The StarlingX Community also does not support or test software upgrades from one STX Release to the next STX Release,
due to the following reasons and community resource limitations:
•       Very often for software upgrades to work from STX Release N (old/existing) to STX Release N+1 (new),
      a “software-upgrade-enabling” 'update/patch' is required for STX Release N …
      e.g. to address migration issues across the upgrade.
•       Because the StarlingX Community does not provide/build software updates/patches, this patch is not available from the StarlingX Community, and therefore software upgrades may not necessarily work and are not tested by the StarlingX Community.

This is described here in StarlingX docs: https://docs.starlingx.io/introduction/consuming.html .

In order to enable software upgrade capabilities, the community needs the resources to:
•       to build and test software-upgrade-enabling updates/patches for Formal StarlingX Release ISOs
•       release these software-upgrade-enabling updates/patches to CENGN servers
•       test software upgrades between Formal StarlingX Release ISOs

The StarlingX community welcomes any contributions that help us meet the needs of a growing user community. If there is any contribution or collaboration you can offer, or suggest, to create the ability to offer and support software upgrades, we welcome them.

Greg.