[Starlingx-discuss] Community meeting notes May 8th 2019

Jones, Bruce E bruce.e.jones at intel.com
Wed May 8 16:19:14 UTC 2019

*         Debrief from the Summit

  *   Share feedback - Bruce, Brent, Bart, Saul, Dean, Shuquan, Ian, etc...
?  We had a very good Summit in Denver with good attendance at all our talks and sessions
?  There were about 15 sessions on or about StarlingX some by people not directly involved in our community
?  Thanks to the Foundation team for a great event!
?  Ildiko will send out pointers to the session recordings.
*         Debrief from the PTG

  *   We had a very full agenda.  We started with work on the Mission Statement and Vision.  We had PTG attendees who are not currently involved in the project.  We discussed the release policy and aligned on time based releases.  We discussed potential items for the next release.

  *   We did a comprehensive review of our Testing strategy and laid out an end to end Testing view.  Ian will post a summary shortly.

  *   Overall a really good PTG that covered both cultural and technical issues.

  *   Look for Inria France to start joining the community.

  *   Good cross project collaboration with Nova and Neutron.  We discussed Bare Metal testing in the community which has some challenges to overcome e.g. allowing root access to machines
*         PTG Agenda and Notes: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/stx-ptg-agenda

     *   This link has also been added to the wiki in the PTG Meeting section
     *   The wiki does not have a pointer to the Berlin PTG notes.  Can someone add that please?
*         Congratulation to Ian Jolliffe the Hero of the People award winner (Foundation Community Contributor Award)
*         Release update - Ghada is back!  We are saved!  The release team owes the community a set of milestones for the next release.
*         a place to store (really) large log files for Launchpads? (Bill)
?  per this question from the mailing list: http://lists.starlingx.io/pipermail/starlingx-discuss/2019-April/004264.html
?  We have paste.openstack.org which might work for this but the requirement is likely for tarballs
?  Bruce to raise with Infra team.
*         Bugs

  *   Intel cannot fix all of the bugs currently assigned to Cindy's team.  Are they all release gating?  Sub-project teams can and should scrub their bugs and can remove the stx.2.0 tag if they so agree.

  *   We have 70+ bugs marked as retest needed.  This tags means "once this bug is fixed, can the Test teams please test the bug fix against a build to make sure this is fixed".

  *   For bugs that have missing logs, or need to be reproduced again by the Submitter - please set the bug Status to Incomplete and reach out to the Submitter asking for the missing info / test results.

  *   In OpenStack they use Incomplete when the bug description is incomplete.  We also ask the devs to build automated tests when fixing bugs so that retesting is not needed.

  *   We want to get to the point where code changes have automated tests to verify them.  We made progress on this at the PTG and have more work to do.
*         Virtual env testing RAM requirements - Ada's team can no longer test this due to RAM issues.  Discuss.

  *   Memory settings are all configurable at deployment time - the defaults can be over-ridden. Using hugepages is a win for most data-path (DPDK) workloads.

  *   Min 20GB memory...24?, 30GB for controller, 16GB for compute

  *   This impacts potential users who are evaluating the the software.  Curtis updated our docs to clarify the requirements.

  *   The default memory size can be limited through standard commands and APIs.

  *   SIAB should use a small memory footprint.
*         TSC elections are coming.
*         OpenInfra Days Nordic (Stockholm, Sweden) CFP is open till June 22: https://www.papercall.io/oidn-stockholm-2019

  *   (ildikov): The organizers would like to have representation from all OSF projects if possible. It is also a great opportunity to connect with regional communities.
*         How to post a blog - the blog is on github and blog posts can be made with a PR.

*         The StarlingX blog is also hosted here: https://github.com/StarlingXWeb/starlingx-website/tree/master/site/blog

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.starlingx.io/pipermail/starlingx-discuss/attachments/20190508/dcbdeeeb/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the Starlingx-discuss mailing list